12 Berkshire Road, Sandy Hook, CT 06482
Dear Neighbors and Friends,
Whether your new normal is joining in on social events through Zoom, or stepping into community spaces while taking precautionary measures, our hopes are that you have found a comfortable space to continue your enjoyment of all that you’ve come to love.
This fall we found success in both, virtual and in-person, offerings. In addition to Belly Dancing, Computer Classes and Financial Planning courses, we added meal prepping, jewelry & metalsmithing, Broadway Burn and other, new offerings for your enjoyment. We have also added online registration (newtown-ce.revtrak.net) to make participating easier. We update our offerings continuously, so be sure to check out the site. We are excited to announce that this winter we will be hosting a virtual, community event; so be on the lookout for that information.
Newtown Continuing Education would be remiss if we didn’t mention that we have made several changes in the way we help keep you safe when participating in our programs. From mask wearing and hand sanitizer, to limiting number of participants; we are here to do our part. We will continue to provide virtual opportunities to ensure an equal, comfortable, recreation and learning opportunity for all.
We make an effort to cater to all interests and are looking forward to growing our program. If you have a suggestion or perhaps a fascinating skill to share, please feel free to email us. We are currently planning for Spring and Summer 2021 and cannot wait for you to see all we have in store for you.
We appreciate the continuous support from newcomers and past participants alike. We hope that you will return to Newtown Continuing Education, if you haven’t already, to experience all that we have implemented to make your participation the best yet.
Until we meet again,
Newtown Continuing Education
Newtown Summer School
Policies, Guidelines & Procedures
Cancellations: In order to provide the best program possible, we need a commitment at least two weeks prior to your scheduled class. Refunds will not be given without two weeks’ notice.
· A $15 processing fee is assessed to all refunds. Refunds are issued with two weeks’ notice.
· Cancellations accompanied by a doctor’s note will be considered. Please contact us as soon as possible.
(Please be sure to review our procedures for Make Up Classes).
Discounts: The Senior Discount and Early Registration Discount may not be combined, and are for use on select programs. Discounts do not apply to Ed2Go online classes, Driver’s Ed, SAT Prep Courses, or Bus Trips.
· A $15 fee will be accessed for any and all cancellations, regardless of reason.
· Returned checks are subject to a $10 charge.
Make Up Classes: Make up classes will be offered, either in-person or virtually, depending on circumstance. Neither refunds, credits, nor proration’s will be given for your absence in a make-up class; regardless of reason.
Arrival for Programs:
· Please arrive no earlier than 10 minutes prior to your scheduled class. Should you arrive earlier; please wait in your car.
· There is no on-site registration, please pre-register online or via phone.
· Please do not wander the building.
· Most classes are open to students ages 16 and older, unless otherwise noted.
· Bus Trips are offered to anyone over 14 years of age, unless otherwise noted or with special permission from NCE.
· Currently, State of Connecticut Guidelines suggest individuals over the age of  or with other health conditions should continue to stay home and stay safe. Please consult with your primary care physician if you have any concerns.
· You are to provide your own device. All Newtown Board of Education policies should be complied with while attending online courses.
· Materials will not be provided, unless specified.
· If you are asked to leave due to inappropriate behavior, neither a credit nor refund will be issued.
COVID-19 Response: We take the safety of our participants and staff seriously. We have implemented safety guidelines and cleaning procedures in response to the COVID-19 circumstance. Please take a moment to review.
Face Coverings: All instructors and participants are required to wear and supply their own facemask or other cloth face covering that completely covers the nose and mouth, unless doing so would be contrary to his or her health or safety due to medical conditions, for which a medical note for exemption will be required in advance of attending a program. Neither credits, nor refunds will be issued for classes missed due to not having a face covering.
Maximum Class Size: All in-person classes will be limited to 10 students or less, and one instructor.
Visitors: Visitors will not be permitted in the building. Only those that have pre-registered for a program will be given admittance into the building.
School Closings & Policies
· If day time classes are cancelled because of inclement weather, there will be NO evening classes.
· WLAD Danbury 800, FM WDAQ 98.3, FM WEZN 99.9 and WTNH News Channel 8 broadcast school closings.
· Our Facebook Page: Newtown Continuing Education is updated with closures.
· If schools are closed to the public at the discretion of the Board of Education or State of Connecticut, make up classes will be given. At times make up classes will be given virtually or in a blended learning style (computer, PSAT/SAT, Mind and Body, Personal Development, Communication, Photography, History, Driver’s Ed, and crafting classes, etc.).
· We are not responsible to provide devices to attend virtual classes, some instruction will be given on access to the virtual “classroom,” through Zoom or Google Meet, prior to your scheduled class. For seminars, you can join in via phone if another device is not available.
· Bus excursions are subject to cancellation, and will be at the discretion of Friendship Tours or any of their participants.
Refunds for bus trips will be on a case-by-case basis.
Smoking & Board of Education Policies: All public school buildings and grounds are non-smoking areas, per policy of the Newtown Board of Education. This policy also applies to virtual courses.
Participants are expected to adhere to all District policies, regardless of whether they are attending programs in-person or virtually; with the exception of wearing a mask and social distancing for virtual programs.
Non Discrimination Policy: Newtown Continuing Education does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, race, color, age, marital status, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religion, mental or physical disability or any other legally recognized protected status in any of its employment practices, school activities, or educational programs.
We appreciate your continuous support, understanding and cooperation during these unprecedented times.
*Adult Ed-General Information
HOW TO REGISTER
You can register by phone by calling (203) 426-1787 with a Visa, Master or Discover Card with an expiration date and 3-digit security code. Please have all the information requested on the mail-in registration form before calling.
You may register in person by coming to the Newtown Continuing Education Office located at Newtown High School, 12 Berkshire Road, Sandy Hook, CT 06482, Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.
Simply complete the registration form (or a copy of one) sign it and send it with payment to Newtown Continuing Education, 12 Berkshire Road, Sandy Hook, CT 06482.
Have your FAX transmit a completed registration form to our FAX machine by calling (203) 426-1787. Be sure to include your Visa, Master or Discover Card number, expiration date, 3-digit security code and signature
• Please register early. Waiting until the last minute to register may result in the cancellation of a class. In addition, many classes have limited enrollment.
• Register by February 26th and receive a 10% discount. This discount is not available for bus trips, SAT, Drivers Ed, online courses and others as noted.
• All Senior Citizens (62 and older) receive a 25% discount for courses not specifically excluded. NOTE: The Senior discount is not available for bus trips, online courses, and others as noted.
• Board of Education rules prohibit anyone under the age of sixteen from taking an Adult Education course without special permission. Call Continuing Education for information 203-426-1787• NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS! The only time you will hear from us is if there is a change in time or day or the class is full or cancelled.
• After the first class, if a course does not meet your expectations a refund or credit will be issued.
• Online Classes—please be sure to include your email address when registering for one of these classes.
• You can view our brochure or print a registration form from our Website
• Payment is due at time of enrollment.
• Returned checks are subject to a $10.00 service fee.
All classes are offered at NHS (Newtown High School) unless otherwise noted in the course description. NMS stands for Newtown Middle School, RIS stands for Reed Intermediate School ,SHS stands for Sandy Hook School and Teen Ctr stands for Teen Center. Room assignments will be posted and staff will be available for assistance on the first night of classes at the High School.
The Teen Center is located at 53A Church Hill Road, Newtown, CT 06470
SCHOOL CLOSING POLICY
If day time classes are cancelled because of inclement weather there will be NO evening classes. The following radio stations broadcast “no school” announcements: WLAD Danbury 800, FM WDAQ 98.3, FM WEZN 99.9 and WTNH News Channel 8.
PLEASE NOTE: All public school buildings and grounds are non-smoking areas, per policy of the Newtown Board of Education.
Newtown Continuing Education, (located in Newtown High School) 12 Berkshire Road, Sandy Hook, CT 06482
Newtown Continuing Education does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, race, color, age, marital status, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religion, mental or physical disability or any other legally recognized protected status in any of its employment practices, school activities, or educational programs.
- Click the highlighted link for more information on our Summer Schools, Camps and Programs
Adult Education & Diploma Programs
Credit Diploma Program (CDP)
General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
Adult Basic Education (ABE)
For more information or information on ESL or Citizenship Programs or registration and class dates and times, please contact:
Danbury Continuing Education, WERACE, 10 Crosby Street, Danbury, CT 06810, 203-797-4731
www.danbury.k12.ct.us, click on Schools and then Adult Education/WERACE.
Driver's Ed Courses
Getting your permit?
DMV offices conduct knowledge testing for operator licensing on an appointment basis. The written test is based on the information contained in the Connecticut DMV , including road signs, driving rules, and safety rules. The knowledge test consists of 25 questions and you need 20 correct answers to pass (80%). You must pass a knowledge test before you receive your learner’s permit. Connecticut requires that you pass a vision test before you get a driver’s license. After you successfully pass the CT DMV practice permit test, you will be able to schedule an appointment for the road test.
Here is the link to the Connecticut practice tests:
Newtown Continuing Education has partnered with The Next Street Driving School to provide driver's ed classes at Newtown High School.
Get in the Driver’s Seat, with The Next Street!
“Learning to drive should be an easy and worthwhile experience. Anyone can teach you how to drive – but no one can do it like us.” - The Next Street
Benefits of The Next Street Drivers Ed Courses :
Flexible, affordable prices to provide your child with professional instruction.
Full Driver’s Ed Course:
30 Hours of classroom and 8 hours of behind-the-wheel often qualifies you for an insurance discount!
License Testing: (additional fee)
You can take the test with The Next Street, have Next Street meet you at DMV, or for an additional fee—they take you to DMV!
Private Drivers Lessons:
Private driving lessons are 2-hour appointments, and can be purchased at the time of enrollment, or can be added to an existing account.
Students must be 16 years of age at the start of the class.
Call 860.631.4292 for more information or to register.
Looking for New Instructors
Newtown High School SAT Prep Course
Knowledge of the test format and a review of test material are very helpful for your student’s success. Emphasis will be on basic test-taking techniques, to aid students with the testing process. This 24-hour program is given by teachers who have been carefully screened for their SAT expertise, ability to present the information and test-taking skills in a professional manner.
Math: Beginning with sample questions and progressing through Math itself. Discussion includes strategies and pinpointing the common mistakes students fall into when purposely “tricked” by the SAT.
English: Sample writing, vocabulary and approaches to narrowing down answers. Familiarizing students with the vocabulary and reading content in the SAT. Focus on increasing reading speed. Barron’s Books strategies are outlined.
Discounts do not apply.
Course# FNHS1 Price: $250
Tuesdays & Thursdays (6-8:30 pm)
Course begins October 6 NHS
(Oct 6, 8, 13, 15, 20, 22, 27, 29, Nov 5, 10
(Last class meets 1.5 Hours)
Course# FNHS2 Price: $250
Saturdays, October 3 (8am-12pm)
Course begins October 3 NHS
(Oct 3, 10, 17, 24, 31, Nov 7)
The Princeton Review SAT Prep
Led by a Princeton Review expert, you'll review all of the content tested on the SAT and master our exclusive test-taking strategies through extensive in-class practice and drills. This Ultimate course is our most popular comprehensive prep course. Includes 18 hours of live classroom prep, plus three full-length practice tests.
Interactive whiteboard, engage with other students, and receive live online instruction.
Receive a personalized study plan, practice tools & more.
Promo Code: Newtown25% - save over $200 on this course!
Course# FPR1 Price: $674.25 (w. Disc)
Course begins October 15th, with a test to determine individual plans.
Class Dates: Oct 19, 21, 26, 28 & Nov 2, 4
Class Time: (6-9 pm)
Test Dates: Oct 15, 22, 29
Test Time: (5-9 pm) NHS
(Online Only Course)
Course# FPR2 Price: $674.25 (w. Disc)
Class Dates: Oct 21, 22, 27, 28 & 29 Nov 3
Class Time: (6-9 pm)
Suggested Test Dates: Oct 20, 26 Nov 2
Test Time: (5-9 pm)
Lentz & Lentz SAT Prep
Upcoming Courses (PDF)
Lentz & Lentz SAT & PSAT Review (PDF)
Classes are taught by the best rated teachers. The verbal part consists of essay writing, grammatical skills, reading comprehension, vocabulary, contextual completions, speed-reading techniques - all applicable to the SAT. The mathematical potion covers a myriad of problems including: arithmetical skills, advanced algebra, basic geometry, functions, exponents (including the famous “tip sheet”), and modern mathematical concepts.
Two sixteen-session classes are being held virtually, live through Zoom. Live online courses consist of the same instructional component, as in-person classes. Easy-to-use screen sharing technology enables instructors to provide real-time instruction.
Course# FLL1 Price: $415
Wednesdays ( 6:30-9:30p.m.)
Beginning September 9 NHS
(Sept 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct 7, 14, 21, 28)
*Make Up Date: Mon, Oct. 19
Course# FLL2 Price: $415
Weekday Course: ONLINE SESSION
Wednesdays (6-7:30p.m.) English
Thursdays (7:30-9 p.m.) Math
Beginning September 23rd NHS
(Sept 23, 24, 30, Oct 7, 8, 14, 15, 21, 22, 28, 29, Nov 4, 5)
Course# FLL23 Price: $415
Weekend Course: ONLINE SESSION 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Saturdays (9-10:30 a.m.) English
Saturdays (11am-12:30 p.m.) Math
Beginning September 26th NHS
(Sept 26, Oct 3, 10, 17, 18*, 24 & 31)
Testing takes place before the last session course.
ONLINE COURSES - ED TO GO
If you have no time for a formal class but have an interest in learning something new or updating our current information, try an online course! Choose from a wide variety of courses under Career and Professional, Computers and Technology, Writing and Publishing and Personal Development. All of our courses include expert instructors, many of whom are nationally known authors. The courses are affordable, fun, fast, convenient and geared just for you. All courses require internet access, e-mail and an Internet Explorer browser. For a complete listing of courses and fees, please visit:www.ed2go.com/newtown. No discounts apply.
Virtual High School
Newtown High School offers opportunities for students to take online courses from the Virtual High School.
Students can select from hundreds of offerings each semester.
VHS Mission Statement
The mission of Virtual High School is to develop and deliver standards-based, student-centered online courses to expand students' educational opportunities and 21st century skills and to offer professional development to teachers to expand the scope and depth of their instructional skills.
· VHS believes that student-centered online course can be designed and delivered to students to promote a high quality collaborative learning environment in which student exchange and interaction is a valued component of the instructional process.
· VHS believes . Online education offers any school with Internet connectivity a wealth of trained, experienced faculty members qualified in numerous disciplines to teach a wide array of courses designed to meet the needs of all students. An innovative, standards-based curriculum delivered online offers diverse, exciting learning choices for students and the opportunity and skills to participate in a national an global community.
· VHS believes that online teaching should augment, rather than replace, traditional classroom teaching. The Virtual High School's online courses are a proven, flexible solution for schools needing an expanded curriculum, teachers seeking new horizons, parents wanting more involvement with their children's education, and a society grappling with ways to offer opportunity to all its citizens.
· VHS believes that the goals of education are advanced best by putting value and service first. When schools work together in a collaborative network, such as VHS, they become part of an abundant and generous educational community that promotes the affordable sharing of professional resources.
Enrollment is open for the 2019 Fall Semester. Registration begins May 10, 2019. The semester begins September 5, 2019
Virtual HS 2019-2020 Calendar.
· Virtual High School online courses are considered transfer credit. Before a student can enroll in a course the student must fill out the Approval form with their Counselor and submit it to Elissa Gellis in the Continuing Ed Office.